photo about_zps64129397.png photo lovestory_zpsf2d661db.png photo FAQ_zps13d72d35.png photo DIY_zpsd427438c.png photo fashion_zps03e55e29.png photo food_zps59fe299b.png photo contact_zpsc08b3980.png

Monday, June 24, 2013

HOW TO SEW EASY PEASY DRAPES


So I'm no sewing expert, but if you can thread a machine and sew a straight line, then you are in luck because you can make these curtains. But seriously this may be a horrid tutorial that makes Tim Gunn himself want to jump off a building but if you have little to no sewing skills like me, then this is the tutorial for you!
Also, I promise I ironed them afterwards but the one on the left just didn't want to listen to me. 
 The curtains I needed were long and skinny. I didn't really want to be able to close them so they are just decorative drapes. Since I didn't need anything really wide, I folded the fabric in half to double it {at the bottom I tell you what to do if you don't have enough to fold in half}. I folded it inside-out {wrong sides together} and sewed a straight line down the side to sew them together likes so... 
 
If you are folding them in half like I did and are worried about your "straight line" skills, then you can also make this seam the back as well. Once that is done, flip it back the right way and it should look like this: 
Iron it so that this seam favors the back {if you are doing a side seam}, or if you are making the seem the back-center, then iron it according to that as well. 

After I sewed the side seam, I serged all the edges. You do not have to do this step. This is just so the material doesn't fray but your curtain shouldn't experience much wear and tear so you are fine to skip this step. 

 Now as far as hanging it I was debating whether to do the individual loops, or just fold it over and make one big loop. I went with the later because it sounded like less work. Evenly fold your fabric over on the top {based on how big you want the opening} and don't forget to make sure your rod fits through it. 
You may need pins to help you keep it in place but once you are done, press it really good with an iron. Now you have a nice crease and can simple sew the two pieces together with a simple straight line stitch. I'm sure you can use all kinds of fancy stitches. A double needle hem might look nice, but I just went for an old straight line again because I was using an old machine and "fancy" on it is too hard for me. Now, basically you would do the same thing for the hem, but lucky for me my curtains fall behind my couch and no one can see them so I didn't hem the bottom.

If your fabric is just barely wide enough for your window and you are not folding it in half like I did, just make a tiny hem running down both sides of the curtain and sew it so that you have clean edges. If you don't want a stitch showing, then use fabric tape. And for those who don't sew at all, you can really use fabric tape or fabric glue in place of stitches on the drapes and they will look almost as good.
Ta-Da!

P.S. I lied about Google getting ride of the "join this site bottom." I found it! So sadly if you followed my last post and entered in your email address it will still not add you to the site. So be a friend and click that blue botton on the right hand side and follow me! I will be eternally greatful!

1 comment:

  1. This is why I've enlisted you to make my table runner! :) Because I can't sew a straight line!

    ReplyDelete