photo about_zps64129397.png photo lovestory_zpsf2d661db.png photo FAQ_zps13d72d35.png photo DIY_zpsd427438c.png photo fashion_zps03e55e29.png photo food_zps59fe299b.png photo contact_zpsc08b3980.png

Friday, April 25, 2014

HOLY CRAP = WHOLE30



So as many of you remember back in January Spencer and I did a week and a half raw food cleanse. Let me just give you a recap: it was pure hell. I don't know how someone can just survive off of uncooked fruits, nuts, and vegetables. It's not right! But now we are starting a new type of hell... that should be less hell-y. Have any of you heard of Whole30? Because if you haven't, go to their website right now! Basically it's a 30 day program to get your body off processed foods, sugars, added preservatives, grains, legumes, soy, starches, dairy, etc... So what can you eat? Basically meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts (except peanuts), and all the seasonings/vinegars/oils you want to flavor them. Not nearly as cray cray as the raw cleanse, but for someone who doesn't really like meat or eggs, my protein is very limited. 

While I was doing my shopping for Whole30 (mostly at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Costco) I realized how many foods actually have preservatives and sugar dumped in them. Although finding things without them can be a little tricky, there are things out there! I even found one brand of ketchup and a couple brands of salad dressing. My sister was shocked to learn that you couldn't have ANY form of sweeteners; no honey, no agave, no stevia, no coconut sugar... nothing!  Now for some of you who may follow the (very similar) Paleo diet, you may wonder why Whole30 is so strict about satisfying your sweet tooth. The whole point of the program is to show your body that you don't need it and not to trick your body with "healthy junk" and make some crazy Paleo Chocolate cake using things like cacao powder, garbanzo bean flour, and coconut palm sugar. It's about cutting out the junk completely and not trying to fulfill this need by junka-fying healthy things. 

Spencer and I have been wanting to get in better shape and I've learned that a huge part of that starts in the kitchen. Unfortunately we love to eat out and indulge in the more "less calorie-friendly" meals. And who can forget my love for Dr. Pepper! Oh the travesty. Another month without my best friend. But I know that in the end it will all be worth it. Honestly I'm really pumped about it and have a lot of meals already planned, although I hear it gets tough around day 15. That's when you start seeing your friends heads turn into pizzas and donuts. 

One person who has really convinced me to do this is Jenna Rammell, who is one of the creators of the blog Smallfry. She has now done Whole30 twice back to back (Whole60?) and her results are amazing! She posted this photo below on her Whole30/health Instagram account @jennaskitchen. Go follower her even if you aren't doing Whole30 for just some all over inspiration, and no she is not a fitness workout freak. This is mainly just changing her diet! 

Crazy right? Anyway, pray for me this month! I'll need it. Well I guess I better go get my last Dr. Pepper. Happy Friday, and let me leave you with some inspirational skinny quotes from Babe Walker of White Girl Problems: 






 photo Siggy2_zps990caef6.png

No comments:

Post a Comment